Table of Contents Hide
Vegan soups are filling and healthy enough for vegan athletes to feel satiated while lowering the amount of food they eat overall. They are made with ingredients that are effective in boosting athletic performance while hydrating them and providing them with protein for muscle recovery and repair. To give you an idea, here are some of the best soup recipes for vegan athletes:
Lentil Vegetable Soup
This vegetable soup is ideal for athletes who need plenty of vitamins and minerals. It has apple, lentils, and sweet potato that are all rich in fiber and protein. Consuming this soup can, therefore, provide athletes with the fuel and energy they need for better athletic performance.
- 1 finely chopped small onion
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsps. coriander
- 1 sweet potato – Peel then cut it into chunks (around an inch each).
- 2 celery stalks (chunked)
- 2 to 3 small yellow squash (chunked)
- 3 and ½ oz. lentils (dried)
- ½ apple (peeled and cored then cut into chunks)
- ½ tsp. each of ground pepper and sea salt
- 1 and ½ cup vegetable broth (low-sodium)
- Put oil in a pot then heat it at medium-high.
- Cook the onion there for around five minutes or until it softens and turns golden.
- Add coriander, paprika, and garlic. Cook them for a minute.
- Add the lentils, sweet potato, celery, apples, and squash next. Stir this mixture for a minute or two then put in the salt and pepper.
- The vegetable broth should be added next. Boil while covered then gently simmer for around 35 to 40 minutes. The lentils should be well-cooked and soft.
- Serve while still hot.
Vegan Cabbage Soup
Rich in carbs, this vegan soup composed mainly of cabbage can definitely give an athlete sufficient fuel when doing high-intensity workouts. It can, therefore, help in boosting athletic performance and endurance.
- 1 lb. chopped cabbage
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- A dash of salt and pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- A dash of Tabasco or any hot sauce
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Put the cabbage, garlic, onion, vegetable broth, hot sauce or Tabasco, and some salt and pepper in a saucepan.
- Cover the pan then simmer using medium-low heat while stirring occasionally. This should take a minimum of twenty minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a food processor or blender. Process it until smooth or based on your preference on how you want your soup to taste or feel.
- Stir in the cilantro before serving the soup. Add salt, hot sauce, and pepper as necessary.
Vegetarian Black Bean Soup
Rich in protein, thanks to the fact that it uses beans, this vegan/vegetarian soup can supply athletes with sufficient energy. Here’s how to make it:
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) undrained black beans
- ½ cup salsa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 medium onion for garnish
- ¼ cup cilantro (chopped) for garnish
- Use a potato masher to mash one can of the beans. You may also pulse them using your food processor.
- After that, pour the two cans of black beans into a saucepan. Pour the vegetable broth then add the chili powder and salsa.
- Boil then garnish with onion and cilantro before serving.
All these vegan soups are easy and quick to make plus they meet the rigorous demands of most athletes as far as nutrition content is concerned.