If you are a smoothie lover then you may have started asking yourself whether or not it’s healthy to drink smoothies on a regular basis. Smoothies made from whole fruits, veggies, milk, or milk alternatives, like pea, almond, or soy milk are surely nutritious drinks that will let you start your day right.
You just have to make sure that you prepare them correctly so they can deliver the right amounts of vitamins, antioxidants, minerals, protein, fiber, and water to your body. However, there are also some downsides to this highly nutritious drink and you have to be aware of them if you want to avoid them and maximize its positive effects, instead.
- Easy and convenient to make – Undoubtedly, smoothies are among those nutritious drinks that you can easily prepare at home. In fact, preparing them does not require a lot of your time. You just have to add your chosen ingredients into your blender and let the machine mix them. If you do not want to spend even just a few minutes in the morning preparing your smoothies then you also have the option to make them one night ahead.
- Increased vegetable and fruit intake – By consuming smoothies on a daily basis, you will no longer belong to the huge number of people who do not get the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients provided by fruits and vegetables. With this highly nutritious drink, you can increase your servings of both fruits and veggies while having the option to improve their taste by adding your preferred ingredients.
- Delicious – If you want your body to receive a lot of nutrients without having to taste bland and flavorless foods then you can try smoothies because they are known for being truly delicious. They taste really good. This means that even just a glass of smoothie taken once every day can already help supply your body with nutrients without sacrificing flavors and taste.
- Highly nutritious – By drinking smoothies, you are giving your body the chance to take in a lot of nutrients. In fact, it is possible for you to receive all the nutrients that healthy ingredients, like spinach, chia seeds, oats, and flaxseed can offer. Furthermore, these drinks can improve your cardiovascular health. It is because whole fruits contain several cardio-protective nutrients, like Vitamin C, potassium, folate, and fiber – all of which can lower your risk of suffering from stroke and heart attack.
- Minimal counting – Unlike what happens when following other diet or eating plans, making smoothies a vital part of your daily diet does not involve full-time calorie and carbohydrate counting and the use of a food diary. This is especially true if you decide to follow a smoothie diet strictly. Note that if you follow a solid food meal plan on a daily basis, then constant calorie counting is a must. With daily and weekly smoothie recipes and meal plans, you no longer have to monitor everything and do plenty of decision-making. It is because the drink is highly nutritious and consists of ingredients that will not harm your diet at all.
- Can’t be considered as a complete meal – A glass of smoothie can never be considered as a full meal, which might cause you to miss out on certain nutrients provided by other food sources. Keep in mind that for your body to survive and thrive, it needs the right amount of vitamins, minerals, essential fats, and complete protein from the right sources. This means that even if you regularly drink a green smoothie as a way to start your day, you can’t still expect a glass of it to supply all the nutrients required by your body. If you consume this every day and let go of other foods where other nutrients required by your body are derived from then this might compromise your health.
- High risk of overconsumption – Another problem with forming the habit of drinking smoothies on a daily basis is that it can lead to overconsumption. Note that with the delicious taste of smoothies, you might be tempted to overindulge, causing you to take in more calories than what you need. There are also pre-made smoothies that are extremely rich in sugar.
- Not as filling as regular meals – Another disadvantage of smoothies, especially if you decide to use them as replacements for regular meals is that they are not that filling. It is mainly because some parts associated with satiety and fullness from a meal actually result from chewing food. With that in mind, make sure that you only drink smoothies as a means of boosting your nutrition, not as full replacements to your regular, healthy meals.
While there are downsides to drinking smoothies every day, take note that these drinks also carry with it numerous benefits as far as nutrition and health are concerned. To avoid experiencing its drawbacks, make sure to focus on boosting the nutrition value and satiety ability of your prepared smoothies without causing your body to get overloaded with sugar and calories.
In that case, it helps to create your smoothies from whole fruits and veggies as well as from ingredients rich in fiber and healthy fats. Include greens, too, to further increase the ability of the drink to give you the nutrition your body needs.