Dumbbells are among the best free weights that one can use for exercising. You probably have seen these weights in the gym, or you might even own a pair yourself. However, do you know what kinds of exercises you should be using these weights for?
Here are some of the best exercises that you can do just using your handy dumbbells:
- Stand up straight with a dumbbell in each hand. Keep your hands hanging down your sides.
- Keep your elbows close to the body and your palms should be facing your sides.
- Without moving your upper arms, curl both dumbbells towards your shoulder.
- Exhale and contract your biceps as you curl
- Gently lower the dumbbells back to the starting position, and repeat.
- Stand up straight while holding a dumbbell in each hand.
- Place your arms at the starting position. Position the weights until they are level with your shoulders.
- Press the weights upwards and twist your wrists so that your palms are facing forward when you fully extend your arms.
- Slowly lower the weights back to the starting position, and repeat.
- Stand up straight holding a dumbbell in each hand with your palms facing your body. Your feet should be shoulder-width apart with knees slightly bent.
- Bend forward no more than 45-degrees. Engage your core muscles and keep your back straight.
- Lift the weights towards your chest, exhaling as you lift. Make sure your arms do not go past your shoulders.
- Gently lower the weights back to the starting position and repeat. Do not change your posture until you finish a set.
- Stand up straight with a dumbbell in each hand. Keep your arms at your sides with your palms facing your body. Your feet have to be shoulder-width apart.
- Lunge forward using your right leg. Land on your heel and bend your knee until your right thigh is parallel to the floor. Bend your left leg at the knee and your left foot should be on its toes.
- Kick up using your right leg to return to the starting position. Exhale as you do this.
- Repeat steps 1-3 using your left leg. This should constitute one repetition.
- Stand up straight with a dumbbell in each hand and your palms facing your body. Keep your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Lift your heels as high as you can and keep your arms to the sides. You should be feeling the tension in your lower legs. Exhale as you lift your heels.
- Gently lower your heels back to the floor, and repeat.
Even though you only have a pair of dumbbells, these exercises can help you get a full-body workout.