Although yogis who have natural flexibility can access asanas easily, they are still prone to getting injured if they do not have enough fitness, strength and stability. Fitness training as well as strength and stability training creates muscular awareness, which you can use along with your flexibility so that you can support your yoga workouts and your asanas.
With proper fitness training, you can bring the much-needed strength to your body. It is necessary if you are serious about practicing yoga as it can also bring about balance. Through regular fitness training, you will be more aware of your own body, thereby lowering your risk of injury.
You can start supporting your yoga practice using the following fitness training routines. The great thing about these exercises is that you will only need light dumbbells.
Goddess Squat > Overhead Press
This exercise will strengthen the lower body, core, and shoulders. Here are the steps:
- Inhale and start with the Goddess Squat. Place the dumbbells at shoulder height.
- Exhale while straightening your legs and pressing the weights over your head.
- Inhale while standing and exhale to return to the Goddess squat.
With the help of this routine, you can strengthen your Chaturanga. You can do it with these steps:
- Start in the plank pose with your dumbbells in your hands.
- Inhale while in the plank pose and exhale to lift one dumbbell to your armpit. Make sure to keep your arm close to the body while doing so. Exhale while lowering the weights.
- Repeat using the opposite hand.
This exercise is a major help in strengthening the back and the hamstrings. Follow these steps to perform this famous fitness training:
- Start in the mountain pose with your knees slightly bent. Put the weights in front of your thighs. Squeeze your shoulder blades together and inhale while also engaging the Uddiyan Bandha.
- Exhale while slowly lowering the weights to just below the knees. Engage the hamstrings and glutes to return to the mountain pose.
Reverse Lunges with Shoulder Press
You can expect this exercise to work in strengthening your legs, core, and shoulders. Do it by following these steps:
- Inhale and start with the mountain pose, holding your weights close to your body.
- Exhale and step back with one foot while also raising one dumbbell above your head (the same side as the foot that stepped back).
- Inhale and slowly go back to the mountain pose. Repeat using the opposite leg and arm.
These exercise routines are perfect for you if you are still unsure about where to begin to incorporate fitness training into your yoga practice. If you want to go on a more restorative practice, you can choose to do these routines during your yoga practice or on the days you are not doing yoga.